Friday 9 September 2016

It started at 4.15



A bit of background. The Lovely Lara booked the tickets a full 12 months ago. Since then we've been  roughly planning this trip. We gave this to the kids as a gift last Christmas.


 


The calendar on the back of the dunny door has been counting down the departure date.


I write this first instalment from our hotel in Santa Monica. Hotel Carmel is neat and tidy and really well positioned between the pier & the Third Street Promenade. I suspect the brochures may describe it as having a certain "Old World Charm." But it suits us perfectly.



The flight was here on QF 93 was uneventful. Very little sleep was had. My absolute highlight was my special seat of 71D. Lara gave this to me for Christmas. Because of my incredible height (I could have played NBA) she booked me this special seat with masses of leg room. I felt like Elvis.


Kids loved the stash of Tim Tams at the back of the plane. Gracie frequently disappeared and came back with a stash. Arrived at LAX and went to pick up our minivan. Decided we weren't going to fit with all our luggage. Spent a stack more and got an SUV. I walked out and told the bloke we were from Australia and that I needed the biggest and most pimped SUV available. Got me a big Chevy Yukon. It's massive.






Spent our first day at Santa Monica Pier and Third Street Promenade. We were all so tired. By lunch time everyone had lost their filters and some of the interactions were unhelpful and lacking in grace! Lunch at the Cheescake Factory, sleep in the arvo and Steak & Shake for tea. We let the boys loose in the evening to go pokie hunting. Apparently the Santa Monica pier dacks all over the Box Hill Town Hall.






All slept well for our first night. Off to explore Hollywood today.




3 comments:

  1. Great mate, keep it coming! Thought I'd left a comment but no sign of it! Lost in transition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you made it and managed to pick up your car (upgraded) okay – you guys must have a lot of luggage..... Enjoy lots of that cheesecake factory bread. pete

    ReplyDelete
  3. Virtual high five x 2! One for seat 71D & the Chevy Yukon! Awaiting photo of Lara behind the wheel ploise! Kirsty Porter

    ReplyDelete